In the Twelfth Judicial Circuit Court for
DeSoto, Manatee, and Sarasota Counties, Florida
Administrative Order 2023–2.4
Order Appointing Lawrence Jacobs
as General Magistrate and
Support Enforcement Hearing Officer
The Florida Rules of Court authorize the Chief Judge to appoint magistrates and support enforcement hearing officers to expedite the administration of justice and to relieve excessive caseloads. Pursuant to this authority and in recognition of the public need for the prompt and efficient resolution of claims pending in the Twelfth Judicial Circuit, it is
- Lawrence Jacobs is hereby appointed to serve as General Magistrate for the Twelfth Judicial Circuit, in and for DeSoto, Manatee and Sarasota Counties, Florida.
General Magistrate Duties:
General Magistrates for the Twelfth Judicial Circuit shall perform any and all legal duties as directed by the Court and have all authority granted by Florida Rule of Civil Procedure 1.490, Florida Probate Rule 5.697, Florida Rules of Juvenile Procedure 8.257 and 8.625(h), Florida Family Law Rule 12.491, sections 393.11, 394.467, 397.311, 397.681 and 744.369, Florida Statutes, and any other rule or statutory provision authorizing the appointment of a general magistrate.
Requirements of General Magistrate:
General Magistrates for the Twelfth Judicial Circuit must comply with the following requirements:
- Take the oath of office required of officers by the Florida Constitution, and the oath shall be properly recorded in the Official Records of the Clerk of the Circuit Court with this Administrative Order. The requisite oath is attached.
- Serve without the requirement of a bond.
- Serve at the pleasure of the Chief Judge.
- Promptly make and enter a recommended order in each case. The order shall contain findings of fact.
- A void practices or occupations that would be a conflict of interest or give the appearance of impropriety.
- Comply with provisions of the Code of Judicial Conduct, applicable to General Magistrates.
Support Enforcement Hearing Officers:
Florida Family Law Rule 12.491, sets forth procedures governing child support enforcement hearings. In Administrative Order 89-08- 12, this Court adopted these procedures after determining they would benefit the public, the litigants and the judiciary.
- Lawrence Jacobs is hereby appointed to serve as a support enforcement hearing officer for the Twelfth Judicial Circuit, in and for DeSoto, Manatee and Sarasota Counties, Florida, to hear all matters that a support enforcement hearing officer is authorized to hear pursuant to Florida Family Law Rule 12.491.
Hearing Officer Duties and Term of Assignment:
All Support Enforcement Hearing Officers shall serve under the direction and at the pleasure of the Chief Judge of the Twelfth Judicial Circuit as the Court's representatives with all the powers and duties prescribed by Florida Family Law Rule 12.491.
Recording of Hearings:
All hearings before the General Magistrates and the Support Enforcement Hearing Officers shall be reported by electronic means as provided by Florida Rules of General Practice and Judicial Administration 2.535.
Any General Magistrate or Support Enforcement Hearing Officer is authorized to wear a judicial robe while presiding over any judicial proceeding, unless otherwise prohibited by statute or rule of court.
This is an Administrative Order authorized by Florida Rules of General Practice and Judicial Administration 2.120(c) and is not a local court rule as defined in Florida Rule of Judicial Administration 2.120(b ).
- This order is effective immediately, nunc pro tune to April 11, 2023.
Done and ordered in chambers, Sarasota County, Florida, this 17th day of April, 2023.
Charles E. Roberts
Return to Administrative Order List